At the least 17 individuals, together with a toddler, have died in a Delhi resort hearth that broke out early on Tuesday morning, police mentioned.
A video of the incident exhibits individuals leaping from the fourth flooring after breaking open window panes.
Officers mentioned 35 individuals had been rescued. Some had been injured and have been taken to hospital.
Lodge Arpit Palace is situated in Karol Bagh, an space fashionable with vacationers for its finances lodges and buying.
“There was wood panelling within the hall due to which individuals could not use the corridors to go away the resort,” firefighter Vipin Kenta advised the Hindustan Instances newspaper. He added that at the very least two individuals jumped out of the constructing.
He mentioned they had been nonetheless investigating what induced the fireplace. Native media reported that many of the deaths had been brought on by suffocation.
- India fire destroys natural history museum in Delhi
- Kamala Mills: Fire at Mumbai complex kills 15 people
- India: Second Mumbai building fire in a week kills four
Fireplace accidents aren’t unusual in Indian cities, the place builders usually flout security rules.
Many buildings, each outdated and new, lack correct hearth exits. In latest months, officers have shut down quite a few retailers and eating places in a few of Delhi’s most unique neighbourhoods for not following hearth security measures.
House owners of economic buildings have additionally been identified to assemble further flooring with out the mandatory permissions.
Delhi minister Satyendra Jain advised the NDTV information web site that the Arpit Palace had constructed as much as six flooring with a kitchen and a terrace, despite the fact that the homeowners solely had permission to construct 4 storeys.