The US navy will preserve 200 troops in Syria to function a peacekeeping pressure after it pulls out most of its troopers, the White Home says.
President Donald Trump has come beneath fierce criticism for his resolution final December to withdraw 2,000 troops.
He mentioned the Islamic State group (IS) had been “defeated”, however critics warn the group has not disappeared solely.
The most recent announcement comes because the battle to turf IS out of the final pocket it holds in Syria continues.
US-backed fighters belonging to the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) alliance say they may make a contemporary try on Friday to evacuate civilians from Baghuz, a village in jap Syria on the Iraqi border.
An estimated 300 IS fighters are considered holed up inside a tiny pocket of land.
President Trump’s announcement of a speedy withdrawal in late December took US allies and his personal navy and defence advisers without warning again in late December. It prompted issues that Turkey might assault Kurdish forces, who’ve been working with the US to battle IS in Syria.
US officers mentioned American forces had been initially given 30 days to go away Syria, however Mr Trump later said the withdrawal would be slowed down.
- Trump rewrites US Syria policy
- Could a defeated IS rebound?
- How many IS foreign fighters are left?
- Why countries face a dilemma over IS children
Talking at a press convention on Thursday, White Home spokeswoman Sarah Sanders mentioned: “A small peacekeeping group of about 200 will stay in Syria for a time period.”
Republican Senator Lindsey Graham, who was a vocal opponent of the withdrawal resolution, praised Mr Trump’s newest transfer and mentioned the troops would work “as a part of a world stabilising pressure”.
It’s not but clear the place the remaining 200 troopers will probably be stationed. US troops presently have a presence in a community of bases and airstrips in an arc throughout north-eastern Syria.
What is the newest within the battle towards IS?
The SDF alliance has IS militants surrounded of their remaining populated stronghold in Syria, however says it has delayed its remaining assault to permit remaining civilians to be evacuated.
Spokesman Mustafa Bali instructed Reuters they consider there are nonetheless three,000 civilians caught inside Baghuz.
Some 20,000 civilians are estimated to have already fled the realm in current weeks, however these departures stalled this week.
Most have been taken by the SDF to a makeshift camp for displaced folks in Hassakeh province, north-eastern Syria. Amongst them are the wives and kids of IS militants and lots of international nationals.
They embody British teenager Shamima Begum and American lady Hoda Muthana, who’re each in limbo after being instructed by their respective governments they now not have citizenship.
Individually, the jihadist group mentioned it was behind a automotive bomb assault at an oil area 100 miles north of Baghuz, which killed no less than 13 folks, together with SDF troopers, on Thursday.
The autumn of the final IS territorial stronghold in Syria is critical – however specialists have warned the group’s ideological pull endures.
At its peak, 5 years in the past, IS managed 88,000 sq km (34,000 sq miles) of territory stretching from western Syria to jap Iraq.