A novel by a non-binary transgender writer is considered one of 16 books in rivalry for the Ladies’s Prize For Fiction.
Nigeria’s Akwaeke Emezi, who doesn’t determine as male or feminine, is the primary non-binary trans writer to be longlisted for the £30,000 prize.
Freshwater, her debut novel, tells of a younger Nigerian lady who leaves her homeland to dwell within the US.
It’s considered one of seven debut novels to make the record, which will probably be whittled right down to a shortlist on 29 April.
The winner of the prize – previously referred to as the Orange Prize for Fiction – will probably be introduced on 5 June.
Additionally within the operating is Milkman by Ana Burns, a coming-of-age story set in the course of the Troubles that received final yr’s Man Booker Prize.
Final yr’s Ladies’s Prize For Fiction went to Kamila Shamsie for her seventh novel, Residence Fireplace.
Different titles on the longlist embody Circe by US writer Madeline Miller, who received the prize in 2013 for The Track of Achilles.
One other coming-of-age story, Sally Rooney’s Regular Individuals, makes the longlist having been named Waterstones’ book of the year in November.
The Ladies’s Prize for Fiction is awarded for the very best full-length novel of the yr, written by a girl and printed within the UK by any lady writing in English no matter her nationality or nation of residence.
Earlier winners embody We Must Speak About Kevin by Lionel Shriver, Zadie Smith’s On Magnificence and Small Island by the late Andrea Levy.
- The Silence of the Ladies by Pat Barker
- Remembered by Yvonne Battle-Felton
- My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite
- The Pisces by Melissa Broder
- Milkman by Anna Burns
- Freshwater by Akwaeke Emezi
- Bizarre Individuals by Diana Evans
- Swan Track by Kelleigh Greenberg-Jephcott
- An American Marriage by Tayari Jones
- Quantity One Chinese language Restaurant by Lillian Li
- Bottled Items by Sophie van Llewyn
- Misplaced Kids Archive by Valeria Luiselli
- Reward Songs for the Butterflies by Bernice L McFadden
- Circe by Madeline Miller
- Ghost Wall by Sarah Moss
- Regular Individuals by Sally Rooney