Metro Financial institution says it has begun the method of elevating £350m from shareholders to bolster its funds, in a bid to ease fears over its future.
It follows an accounting error in January which left the financial institution with out the capital it wanted to develop.
Present shareholders nonetheless have to approve the deal, however the agency is prone to increase the cash it wants.
Shares in Metro Financial institution have fallen about 75% this yr, wiping about £1.5bn off its market worth.
The agency mentioned it had priced its shares at 500p – a 36p low cost to its closing share worth on Thursday.
The financial institution – which has 67 branches in London and the South East – is promoting new shares to new and present traders.
- Shares in Metro Bank tumble – again
- Financial sharks circling Metro Bank
- The American taking on British banks
It revealed in January that it had underestimated the danger degree of a few of its industrial loans by virtually £1bn.
That meant it didn’t have the required shock-absorbing capital it wanted to help plenty of its enterprise loans.
The funds it raises are geared toward making up for the shortfall.
- Metro Financial institution opened its first department in London’s Holborn in 2010 within the wake of the monetary disaster
- It was the primary Excessive Avenue financial institution to open within the UK in additional than 100 years
- It’s one in all so-called challenger banks to the massive Excessive Avenue names, and opens seven days every week
- Founder Vernon Hill shook up the US banking scene in 1973 when, aged 26, he based Commerce Financial institution with one department
- When he bought Commerce Financial institution in 2007 for $eight.5bn, it had 440 branches
Metro Financial institution has been below shut supervision by regulator the Prudential Regulation Authority after the capital miscalculation.
The difficulty has additionally weighed closely on its efficiency, with its current outcomes for the primary three months of the yr displaying a pointy drop in pre-tax revenue to £6.9m from £10m for a similar interval a yr in the past.
Chief government Craig Donaldson mentioned “hostile sentiment” has additionally impacted deposit development, however mentioned that 2019 can be “a yr of transition” for the financial institution.
The financial institution was based in 2010 by American Vernon Hill, turning into Britain’s first new Excessive Avenue financial institution for over 100 years.
Its uncommon focus, in a world the place most banks are drastically reducing again on branches, has been on constructing bodily branches, which open earlier and longer than any of their rivals.
Nevertheless, in February it mentioned it might cut back bold plans to open 200 branches throughout the UK.